January 19, 25 & 26
This drama is absolutely magnificent in every way! The plot, the cast, and the art direction/cinematography is superb. Every frame looks like a gorgeous photograph! This was my very first “Saeguk” or Historical Korean drama, and in my heart it is still the best one I have ever seen! It was adapted from a novel of the same name written by Jung Eun-gwol. It tells of the love story between a fictional king of the Joseon Dynasty and a female shaman.
Why did I start on Episode 6? Because this is the first time Jung II-woo as the rest of the adult cast begin their performances. One fact worth mentioning is that during Episode in the minute by minute ratings, episode 6 topped out at 31.56% at Jung II-woo’s first appearance! Ha…! I wonder why?!
Cr. MBC and on photos.
- Kim Soo-hyun as Crown Prince/King Lee Hwon / King Taejong
- ‘Sun Reaching for the Moon’
- Prince Hwon. Handsome and smart. Overly confident. Used to be a troublemaker but takes an interest in scholarship with Yeon’s help. He learns subjects that are fit for a king. He experiences love for the first time when he meets Yeon-woo, who also shows him the world outside the palace. But Yeon-woo suddenly falls ill and dies. So he reluctantly chooses Bo-kyung to be his royal concubine. From then on, he matures into a king with an edgy personality. Cynical and aloof, King Hwon hardly ever smiles. He stays away from young concubines-in-waiting and even his own royal consort. Instead, he sneaks out of the palace to see the city. And one day, he meets a female shaman called Wol, who looks uncannily like Yeon-woo. This encounter makes him suspicion about the circumstances surrounding Yeon-woo’s death eight years ago. So he begins to investigate the matter…
- Han Ga-in as Heo Yeon-woo / shaman Wol
- ‘Moon Embracing the Sun’
Hur Young-jae’s daughter. Yeom’s sister. Hwon’s first love. She is like the clear sky after a rain shower. She is smart and bright. By chance, she became a palace servant and meets Hwin who is still a prince. She becomes Hwon’s special friend, and he chooses to make her his crown princess. But she becomes stricken with a mysterious illness just days before her royal wedding ceremony and taken to her home (私家) in her last remaining days. She closes her eyes in her father’s arms. Eight years later, she wakes up to find herself as a Munyeo (female shaman) and has no recollection of her past…
- Jung Il-woo as Prince Yang-myung
- ‘Overshadowed by the Sun’
- Born between the former king and concubine Park Hee-bin. As a prince, he is first in line to ascend the throne! He acts as if he does not care about anything while enjoying wine and food. He is a free spirit, but no one knows how hard he works to be entirely free from his destiny. He grew up in the shadow of Hwon and his father, the viceroy, also shunned him. He found solace in the home of a Heung Mung-wan Dae Jae-hak scholar. And he also met Yeon-woo at this scholar’s home and developed a crush on her. But when she is chosen to be Hwon’s crown princess and dies soon after, he becomes overcome with sadness. Eight years later, he is entangled in a dynastic struggle against Hwon.
- Kim Min-seo as Yoon Bo-kyung
- ‘A Mirror longing to be the Moon’
- She became the first official wife of Lee Hwon after the death of Yeon Woo but received none of his love as a woman. Although she appears to be a kind and warm person, she hides her real face under the mask of lies and pretending to be nice.
Supporting Cast (some)
- Song Jae-hee as Heo Yeom
- Yeon-woo’s older brother and Hwon’s tutor, he is a high-ranking official scholar. He has a close friendship with Hwon whom he mentored and later when Hwon becomes the king he becomes his loyal subject. After Yeon-woo’s death, he becomes the husband of Princess Min-hwa.
- Song Jae-rim as Wool
- He is the loyal bodyguard of Lee Hwon who is cold on the outside but warm within. Although he is blessed with good looks, brains and fighting skills, he is faulted as being born as the son of a concubine which gives him a lowly status although he is the son of a nobleman.
- Yoon Seung-ah as Seol
- A servant who was cared about and treated well by the kind Heo family. She was named Seol by Heo Yeom and harbors an unrequited love for him. Later, as a swordswoman, she protects Yeon-woo during her time as shaman Wol.
- Nam Bo-ra as Princess Min-hwa
- Lee Hwon’s younger sister. As a child, she became obsessed with Yeon-woo’s older brother, Heo Yeom, and was determined to marry him at all costs.
Behind The Scenes:
His face is so beautiful here!
Behind The Scenes:
Do you remember these slippers:
That’s right! Cha Chi-soo’s!
Had to include this…too adorable!!!
Behind The Scenes:
Last but not least…I wanted to include this cutie from Episode 1:
Sorry…but as a Bostonian I have to write this. GO PATRIOTS!!! GO TOM BRADY!
Tom Brady…is another man I admire greatly. He’s 40 year old and the first at his age to play as a quarterback at the Super Bowl. And… the First one to possibly have a Sixth Win!!! At my school we will wearing red and blue in his honor and the Patriots on Monday no matter if they win or lose! We are so proud of him!
If there is anyone in this world who can win a Sixth Super Bowl…Brady is the one!!!
Just watch how hard he trains:
Update: Monday January 5, 2018….yes the day after the Super Bowl.
We did not win… sadly the defenders failed in a crucial moment and eventually time ran out for Brady and the New England Patriots. Also there was a very dubious Touchdown they gave the Eagles… but I guess we can’t win every year! 🙂
Let’s celebrate anyways! with the amazing Half Time Show by Justin Timberlake…the part with Prince brought tears to my eyes!