Schweinshaxe. Roasted pork hocks, a German dish.
1 leek, well cleaned, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 onion, diced
2 meaty fresh pork hocks (or more)
salt, peppercorns, cumin (if desired)
1. Put vegetables, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp peppercorns, and pork hocks in pot.
2. Add water to cover, bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook until hocks are just tender – about 2 – 3 hours. Do not overcook.
3. Drain, keeping vegetables and cooking liquid.
4. Preheat oven to 425°F.
5. To baking dish, add drained pork hocks, drained cooked vegetables, and a small amount of the cooking liquid. Score the fat layer.
6. Bake 30 minutes, occasionally basting only the meat, not the fat layer, with cooking liquid. If the fat layer isn’t brown and crispy, turn on the broiler and continue browning. Keep watch that it doesn’t burn. This could take 5 – 10 minutes.
7. Serve the hocks with potatoes and sauerkraut. If desired, serve the cooking liquid (thicken with corn starch if desired). Add a bit of cumin to liquid if desired.
Cr. © Just like Oma | www.quick-german-recipes.com